As I mentioned in my last post, I joined the Tramping Club at VUW. Tramping is either hiking, rock climbing, or mountaineering. They have trips every single weekend and this past weekend was their first trip of the year: Fresher's Trip. It was only $30 so I decided to go. Lucky for me, I packed a sleeping bag, hiking boots, and a backpacking pack when I left Wisconsin. Also, I have a good supply of warm clothes so I had no reason not to go. Plus, what better way to see a country this beautiful other than to actually get out and explore it by foot!
We left Friday evening around 7 and returned Sunday night at 7:30. The place we began to hike at was about an hour and a half away from Wellington. As we set up camp for the first night, I questioned what I had gotten myself into. Not only was I already cold, but this "tent" they said we would be in was more or less just a tarp on poles. So yes, I basically just slept on the ground with a tarp over me. Luckily, there are no harmful animals in New Zealand so I didn't have much to worry about; however, I got very little sleep because it was ridiculously cold the first night. I was too busy trying to figure out how to keep warm than actually sleeping. At times, I was wondering if I was indeed dreaming, or just thinking really extravagant ideas in the peacefulness of the New Zealand night.
I will not go into great detail about each day of hiking. The first day was easier because I was not sore from my brand new hiking boots or carrying my pack 10 kilometers yet. The trails were rocky, steep, slippery, narrow, covered with overgrown plants, muddy, wide, carved by the roots of the trees, flat, and beautiful--all at various times of course. There were many times I had to cross through small streams or a large river. There were large bridges at various points in the hike to cross the big parts, but the smaller parts I was on my own. Either way, it was simultaneously enjoyable and physically demanding. I learned a lot this past weekend.
Lessons from Tramping:
1. You can never have too much chocolate.
2. Everyone you meet has something to offer.
3. You never know when you're about to make a new friend.
4. Electrical tape works wonders for preventing blisters.
5. Only focus on what's directly in front of you.
6. Tramping is all about the food.
7. Water in New Zealand is safe to drink.
8. Mats under sleeping bags are a necessity.
9. Just because you don't feel the bugs biting, doesn't mean they are not biting.
10. Downhill trails can be just as challenging as uphill trails.
I'm still exhausted. I'm ridiculously sore all over my body. I'm also sick. I'm covered in bug bits. Despite all this, I had a blast this weekend and cannot wait to go on another trip to continue to see this beautiful country I am in. As much as I love to shower daily, I'd be willing to give up this luxury to enjoy the great outdoors. I can assure you that if you do not believe in God, the beauty of this country is enough to change your mind.
Emily I have to say I really enjoy your blog. Keep writing. I love you sense of humor and it's a pleasure to sort of being along with you on your adventure. You are so very fortunate to be able to explore another land along with learning more about who you are. I can see how your experiences are building your character. Keep writing. Daryl.
ReplyDelete