This past Sunday was by far the best day I have had in New Zealand. It may not seem like all that exciting of a day, but a lot of things were put into perspective for me. This realization that I had has helped me adjust much more quickly to life in a big city and in a foreign country.
I got up relatively early to go to a local Farmer's Market. There are two that I know of around Wellington and one is only about 5 minutes away from my flat. The other is 30 minutes, and I learned through others who went there that it has more to offer. I'll remember that for next Sunday. This market was incredible. It had every fruit and vegetable imaginable all for a really good price. I got a week's plus supply of apples, oranges, bananas, eggs, lettuce, green beans and onions for only $10! This amazing deal has helped me tremendously in terms of adjusting to the cost of food here. This past week I've been extremely uncomfortable with the fact that food is as much as it is. Knowing that I have this option every week has put me at ease because I will be able to get my essentials for cheap. The market that is 30 minutes from my flat supposedly has breads, meats, and cheeses in addition to fruits and vegetables.
At 1 p.m., I met up with Ocean, my buddy through the International Buddy Program on campus. Her friend Raj drove us and her friend Millie to Newtown for an annual music festival. I may be overly excited, but this festival was simply a blast! There were tons of booths to purchase decorations, jewelry, clothes, hats, etc. There were also tons of places to buy food, and not just any food--ethnic food. I had my very first Crepe with Nutella on it. Basically the best thing I've ever ate in a long time, and I've decided I've been missing out. The day was filled with sweets--I ate a lot of chocolate and licorice that Raj bought for us to munch on while we walked around. We spent a good part of our day drinking Cider (an apple flavored beer) at a bar outside listening to live music. There were 4 or 5 stages with live bands throughout the festival. I met three people that are working on The Hobbit. It was sweet as, and I feel really lucky that I got to share the day with the people I did.
Ocean and Millie even worked a nut stand for a guy. I was going to help to say that I did work in New Zealand, but I wanted to see the festival. It amazes me that this man trusted strangers to work his booth, with all his money, will he took a 15 minute lunch break. Everyone here seems to be friendly. In fact, when we were at Monterey (the bar we drank at), we joined three people at a table. When we asked if we could join them, a man said, "Of course, we are all friends here." That sums up the hospitality of this country quite well: everyone is friends.
It may have seemed like just an ordinary day, but it was the first day that I have felt at home since I left. I'm happy here, and I'm glad I am here. It took some time to adjust, but now I find myself taking each little moment that I have to thank God for allowing me to be here, in this absolutely beautiful city that's a part of a gorgeous country.
No comments:
Post a Comment