Sunday, March 4, 2012

Adjusting to Wellington

Although New Zealand is in a completely different part of the world, there are still a lot of similarities between back home and here. However, there have been a number of differences that I have been trying to get used to. I haven’t become frustrated with anything yet, but I usually find it entertaining. Here’s some of the biggest differences I have made note of or that have started to stand out.

School Differences
1. Kiwi's call school or college “Uni.” I have been around many people who have asked questions like “When does uni start” or “What uni are you going to.” It really does make quite a bit of sense if you think about it considering most college campuses back home are called universities and not college.
2. Classes are known as papers. This has been tough to get used to because people will ask me about something relating to papers and I automatically have a sudden moment of panic thinking I should be writing a paper.
3. Credits are called points. I haven’t figured out the logic behind it yet because “papers” that I have each week that meet less or worth more points which is just the opposite of the way things are in Wisconsin.
4. Each week, I have tutorials outside of my “papers.” These are small group sessions with older uni students where there is more discussion compared to lectures.
5. I have to read a lot here, apparently. Classes are just beginning so I am unsure what the work load will be, but every Kiwi I have met have said they actually read, whereas back home, I do not read.

Daily Interactions
1. Back home, when something is cool, we say “cool” or “sweet” or “awesome.” Here they say “sweet as” or “cool as.” This has been one of my most favorite parts of being in New Zealand.
2. They talk extremely fast. This sums it up pretty well and I am annoyed by how much I have had to ask someone to repeat themselves. They also talk much quieter. I’m catching on quick luckily and everyone here thinks I have a “sweet as” accent.
3. They have a playful way of harassing Australians, or Aussie’s. There appears to be a big rivalry.
4. Everyone here is friends. While at a bar on Sunday, we joined another table because they had room at it. That would never happen back in the US.
5. Some people greet friends with a hug and kiss on the cheek. This could mean nothing or something so you can imagine my confusion if I am ever in this predicament.
6. No one gets worked up about anything, everyone I’ve met has been very relaxed, always looking to have fun, and slightly on the crazy side in terms of wanting to make things more exciting or thrilling.
7. When eating at a café or grabbing coffee (which the coffee and café selection here is huge), you do not clear your dishes. You just leave them on the table.
8. Different word choices:
-reckon=think
-jobs=chores
-barbie=barbeque
-sandals=jandals
-after thank you, they say “It’s alright”
-bro=good friend or brother
-Kiwi’s=citizen of New Zealand
-trolley=shopping cart
-Wellywood=Wellington
-park=parking spot
-bin or rubbish bin=trash can

Differences in Infrastructure/Money/Tax/Sports
1. They drive on the other side of the road. This is so confusing, and I always have to look right first when crossing the street. There are a lot of one way streets in Wellington which has made crossing the street a little safer to me.
2. They also walk on the left side of the street, which is taking some getting used to. It makes sense because we walk on the right back home.
3. They use a lot of round-a-bouts. I haven’t seen too many stop signs since I have been in New Zealand.
4. Metrics is used here. I am still adjusting to a temperature scale, defining distance in terms of kilometers, and measuring out groceries in terms of grams or kilograms. Luckily, the ghetto phone I got has a conversion setting on it.
5. Tax is included and rounding is used when purchasing goods or items. If my grocery bill came to $58.73, I would pay $58.70. If something says it is $4, like a coffee for example, you pay $4.
6. One dollar bills are not used here. Rather, there are $2 and $1 coins. The smallest coin is a 10 cent piece.
7. Tipping is not a custom here. However, I recently learned that if you tip a bartender, they may make your drinks stronger or slip you a free drink at some point in the night.
8. The country is not politically correct in any way. For example, many things are provocative in nature. When going on tours, the tour guides have cracked a lot of sexual jokes. You do not see this back home, and many people would consider it inappropriate.
9. Back home, the world stops on Sunday’s for football. Here, well, Rugby trumps everything. The All Blacks just won the Rugby World Cup, so it is an even bigger deal here.

Other Differences
1. Walking is a way of life here. I have often walked 30 minutes to go grocery shopping and the beach is 45 minutes from where I live. I suppose that’s typical of a big city.
2. When Kiwi’s go out, they dress up. Girls wear dresses and guys often wear ties. Open-toed shoes are not acceptable and bouncers are able to not allow you in due to what you are wearing.
3. In general, people dress up way more than they do back home.
4. The bars close when everyone in them decides to go home, which is often at 4 or 5 in the morning.
5. Some airports do not have any sort of security measure. This speaks volume as to how peaceful of a country I am in.
6. There are two buttons on toilets: 1 is for less water usage and 2 is for more water usage (I'm sure you all can figure the rest out).
7. The outlets here need to be turned on to be used; there's an actual switch on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment