Thursday, June 23, 2011

Privileges of Being a Friend

Have you ever taken a moment to stop and think about how being a friend is an important responsibility? Over the last year of my life, I have gained some exceptional friends and maintained friendships because I decided to transfer to a new college. I have come to the conclusion that being a friend is no easy task. I have also come to the conclusion that being a friend to someone is a privilege. I've reached a point in my life where I have learned the true value of friendship and who I not only need in my life, but also who I want in my life.





Let's face it: being a friend is a lot of work. You never know what you may have to do for a person you care about. You not only have to do easy things like exchange text messages, pay for a meal, or spend a day at the beach together, but you also have to do hard things like help them through a tough time, pick them up in the middle of the night so they get home safely, or see them at their worst. This is clearly not an all inclusive list because I haven't even touched on giving advice, calling them out when their wrong, or telling something they may not want to hear.




I'm truly blessed. I have incredible friends who understand and love me. They know my flaws and choose to overlook them because they know everyone has flaws. My friends know and keep my deep, dark secrets and bend over backwards to help me when I'm struggling. They also know how to make me laugh and teach me things that I didn't even know I needed to be taught. My friends make me a better friend, and I could not feel more blessed than I do.



To me, these are the privileges I've had while being a friend. Ultimately, these are the same standards I hold my friends to which is why they are my friends because they fulfill these privileges.

1. Having fun together in a way that only myself and that other person understand

2. Being there for a friend no matter what the circumstance

3. Making them a better person

4. Donating my bed to a friend for the night

5. Understanding their personality (sense of humor, what makes them happy, what makes them sad, what their biggest insecurities are)

6. Accepting their mistakes, regrets, accomplishments, successes, sadness and happiness and knowing that they have shaped them into who they are today

7. Seeing and tolerating them in their worst and best moods and being thankful that they show both (and all moods) to me

8. Keeping their secrets

9. Making them laugh when they need to laugh and letting them be sad when they need to be sad

10. Helping them through the tough times and celebrating with them during the happy times



No comments:

Post a Comment