This is
going to be the least detailed blog I’ll ever write. If it was detailed, it would be so long that
no one would read it. Here’s a brief,
and hopefully entertaining, recap of my time in Fiji:
Note: It was
pretty epic.
 |
| Our room the first night in Fiji. Not a lot of space for us once we got our luggage in. |
July 5: Left
Wellington. Flight from Wellington delayed. Flight to Fiji delayed. Had an awesome meal on the plane to Fiji. Arrived in
Fiji at 11:30 pm. Was welcomed by a group of singing Fijians. Customs was easy.
Took a cab to our hotel. Was creeped out and realized why people say Fiji is “sketchy”
to travel to.
 |
| Ashley and I goofing around at 1 am because we were happy to be in Fiji |
Note: While
traveling in Fiji, my friend Ashley and I “island hopped.” We boarded a large boat at the port, then got on a smaller
boat when we arrived in the vicinity of our island resorts. These smaller boats took us to the island that our resorts were on. When we departed for our next resort, the
small boats took us to the large boat again.
The process repeats itself everytime we switched resorts. And
the best part? The Fijians took care of
our 3 bags/each happily the entire time!
Although I did get tired of explaining that I had been living in New
Zealand for 5 months and apologizing for my excess luggage.
 |
Our "bure" at Manta Ray Resort
Bure: Private accommodation with ocean view |
July 6: Woke
up after 3 hours of sleep. Didn’t sleep
well because Fiji beds don’t have blankets and the fans make you really cold at
night. Arrive at Port Denarau. Boarded the Yasawa Flyer. Arrived at our first resort: Manta Ray Resort
around 11:30. Welcomed by more singing Fijians and a wonderful drink. Sun tanned/bathed
all afternoon. Went on a sunset boat
cruise in the evening.
 |
| Sunset boat cruise |
July 7: Sun tanned
all day long. Ate breakfast. Ate lunch. Drank fresh coconut milk. Ate dinner.
Started reading a book.
 |
| The beauty of Manta Ray Resort |
July 8: Got
attacked by bed bugs between the hours of 12 am and 7 am. Departed Manta Ray
Resort. Was sang a departing song by some sexy Fijians. Arrived at Korovou
Resort. Ate lunch. Ate dinner. Sun tanned. Finished a book.
 |
| The amazing staff at Manta Ray Resort |
 |
| Inside our bure at Korovou Resort |
July 9: Swam
with manta rays. That’s right—manta
rays. Sun tanned all day. Walked along
the entire island and enjoyed the sandy beaches.
 |
| Oh hey there, manta ray! You're quite large. |
July 10: Ate
breakfast. Fed fish. Had a Fijian cooking lesson. Realized I like raw fish.
Departed Korovou Resort. Arrived at Coral View Resort. Took a trip to a random
island and took lots of awesome pictures. Sat in awe of the clear, blue water
on a sandbar. Hiked up the island to watch the sunset. Met an awesome couple
who lives in Norway. Ate awesome food.
 |
| At our Fijian cooking lesson |
 |
| Sunset from the top of the island at Coral View Resort |
 |
| Enjoying the island/sand bar |
 |
| Ashley and I on the island we visited. Just living the dream. |
July 11:
Consumed my weight in pineapples. Almost died. Realized salt water doesn’t feel
good in my eyes. Visited the Sawa-I-Lau Caves. Faced my fears. Went snorkeling
in the Blue Lagoon. Saw a snake. Saw a clown fish.
 |
| Ash and I in Sawa-I-Lau Cave |
 |
| Snorkeling the the Blue Lagoon |
July 12: Got
attacked by bed bugs again. Visited a Fijian doctor. Saw a Fijian village.
Visited a Fijian school. Was devastated to see the conditions in which Fijians
lived. Gained a large appreciation for my lifestyle, bed, food, home, shower,
car, clothes a lot more than I ever did. Saw a cultural Fijian dance. Departed
Coral View Resort. Arrived at Beachcomber Resort.
 |
| Cultural Fijian dance at Coral View Resort |
July 13: Met
some cool people. Tried to constantly hide my polka-dotted/bug bit body from
other people. Went snorkeling. Sun tanned. Fed baby turtles. Walked around Beachcomber Island in 10 minutes. Watched the sunset. Participated in a
cultural experience. Ask me about it.
 |
| Baby sea turtles |
 |
| Some of the coral during our snorkel at Beachcomber |
July 14: Sun
tanned. Decreased my suitcase weight. Departed Beachcomber. Said goodbye to
Ashley. Sat in an airport for 3 hours before I was able to check in. Waited
some more. Flew back to the US. I got to repeat July 14th because we
flew back into time. It was pretty cool.
 |
| Beachcomber Island |
Needless to
say, Fiji was incredible. I wish I could
go into more detail, but this would be way too long of a blog if I did that. I had an amazing time with an incredible
friend. Fiji forever changed me. I am in awe of the hospitality, friendliness,
and happiness levels that all Fijians possess.
I will always appreciate my home because I was blown away by the
conditions in which the Fijians live. Fiji could be considered a third world country, especially for those who live on the islands that surround the biggest island. I
had a life changing experience, which I plan to blog about more
thoroughly in the future. I highly recommend visiting
Fiji. I loved my time there and it was
the perfect transition to leaving New Zealand and coming back to the US.
Bula = Hello.
Vinaka = Thank you.
Vinaka, Fiji, for an incredible vacation in a beautiful country.
No comments:
Post a Comment