Before I
talk about what it’s been like to be home, I want to talk about my journey back
to the USA. I left Fiji on July 14th
at 10 pm. Well, the flight was delayed
about 40 minutes. I had already been in
the airport since 3 pm so I was ready to take off. I literally flew back into time and arrived
in LA at about 1:30 pm on July 14th.
Customs was easy; I had heard that the US customs officers can be a bit
intimidating, but I did not have to undergo any of that. In fact, my longest part of the process was
waiting for my luggage. I was one of the
first people to check in for the flight of nearly 400 people so my luggage was
some of the last to hit the luggage carousel.
My cousin, Kayla, lives outside of LA so she came to pick me up from the
airport. I was so relieved to be out of
the airport! She took me to her place,
let me shower, then we went and grabbed beers and Mexican food on the Santa
Monica Pier. Being on the right side of
the road was somewhat terrifying (for the first week I was home), and every
time my cousin or anyone I was riding with during the first week I was home
turned I instantly thought they were going down the wrong side of the road. Even though I have been traveling quite
extensively in the last 5 months, I still get travel anxiety so I wanted to be
back to the airport by 8 to give me plenty of time to go through security for
my 11 pm flight to Chicago. I realize
now that this was silly, but I can’t change it.
While driving through the vibrant city of Santa Monica, I was in awe of
how big everything was: the streets were wider, there were tons of bigger SUVs
and trucks, the men were muscular and tall (welcome home, Emily!), and the warm
sunshine felt just like it had in Fiji.
I loved Santa Monica and definitely want to bump it up on my list of
places to visit sooner rather than later so I can explore it more.
| Santa Monica |
My flight
out of LA was delayed. I figured I would
sleep on my flight to Chicago, but I was just too excited about being reunited
with the people I love. Then I saw a
thunderstorm in the distance so I watched that as we approached it, went around
it, and watched it disappear in the vicinity behind me. It was pretty cool, I must admit. By that point we only had an hour and a half
left before landing in Chicago so I just decided to stay awake since I was not
feeling too tired. Since my flight out
of LA was delayed, I was extremely worried that I’d miss my flight to
Madison. After 8 hours in a Fijian
airport, a 10.5 hour flight to LA, a 10 hour layover in LA, and a 4 hour flight
to Chicago…let’s just say I was NOT going to miss that flight. Running through the Chicago airport at 6 am
was not something I had envisioned in my trip back home. I remember getting to my gate after switching
terminals and a couple smiled at me and said, “Madison? You made it!” I was so
relieved and happy to be able to catch my breath. I looked up at the screen and two minutes
later, my flight read “DELAYED.” So I
sat for another 30 minutes before we actually boarded.
| Kayla and I in Santa Monica |
I remember
the feelings and emotions I was feeling so vividly as I flew in LA and knew I
would shortly be back on American soil.
The feeling was multiplied by approximately 1000 when I flew into
Madison. Seeing the capitol and Lake
Mendota were wonderful welcoming sights.
It is weird to think that it had been 5 months earlier that I left such
a wonderful state for a foreign country.
It was about 10 minutes after leaving the plane that all of my suitcases
showed up. I was relieved they had made
it too! It was an eerie feeling being
back in the same spot where all of my traveling begun 5 months earlier. It felt like a dream.
I guess it
sounds boastful to say that I expected people to be excited to see me…but I
felt that way because I was excited to see people. After 6 weeks of being home and still not
seeing some particular people, well, I have given up.
And that’s what I mean when I say that things just aren’t the same and
never will be. It would be nice to say
that I have gotten better at not holding grudges since being gone. Well, I have, actually. That is why I am choosing to just accept that
it is the way things are going to be and that I will need to re-establish my
life here, just like I had to when I moved to New Zealand. But it doesn't mean it doesn't leave a whole in my heart. I really am not trying to sound bitter or
negative, but I’d be lying if I said things have just been “rainbows and
butterflies” since I have been home.
I have
learned how truly fortunate I am to have had such a life changing experience. I am thankful for my ability to save my
money, I am thankful for parents who taught me exceptional money management
skills, I am thankful for having the courage to leave a life I loved behind in
order to have an experience of a lifetime, I am thankful for my encouraging and supporting friends, and I am thankful for even having
such an opportunity to pursue at a young age.
It is good
to be home, and I am still adjusting.
Reverse culture shock is a real thing, let me tell you! But I am thankful to be able to experience
it.
Oh, and for those of you who are wondering...there are not words to describe what it was like to reunited with my dog, Charlo, and two horses, Vogue and Sage. The warmth my heart felt in those moments is something I'll never forget. Ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment