Lebanese: To celebrate the survival of my first final, Suzanne, Ashley, and I decided to go out for dinner and dessert. I had discovered a Lebanese restaurant, Phoenician Falafel, while searching for the Harley-Davidson shop earlier in the semester. We all ordered different things, but we all loved our food. I ordered a Makanek, a Lebanese sausage. I really enjoyed it. Afterwards, we went to a restaurant known for its desserts called Strawberry Fare. This restaurant deserves its own blog post, so stay tuned.
| Our Lebanese food |
Soul Food aka “New Orleans”: Suzanne, Ashley, and I went to an adorable southern themed restaurant called Sweet Mother’s Kitchen for lunch one day. It was the first time I had BBQ sauce on a sandwich in months! Talk about heaven to the taste buds! It was an American style restaurant, so it may seem out of the ordinary, but a taste of home was just what I needed. It’s a cute restaurant, and I recommend it to anyone who finds themselves in Wellington one day.
| My burger from Burger Wisconsin |
Burger
Wisconsin: That’s right! There is a
burger joint in Wellington, actually, it’s a chain restaurant around New
Zealand, called Burger Wisconsin. I
often had many Kiwi’s mention it to me when they found out I was from
Wisconsin. My friends Ashley, Justin,
and I had to take a bus to one of the locations because it wasn’t in walking
distance from our flats. It was kind of
strange taking the bus somewhere because it had been a while since I needed to
take the bus for anything. My burger was
delicious, but it doesn’t top Wisconsin burgers. However, New Zealand puts a lot of
interesting toppings on their burgers that make them unique such as aoli sauce,
relish, and beet root. I will miss their
creativeness!
Hell Pizza: Wellington has three religious based pizza companies, but they are completely separate from each other: Heaven, Hell, and Wholly Pizza. Sam, Cameron, Ashley, Suzanne, Kayla, and I all went to Hell Pizza one evening. We all ordered our own personal pizza’s, and I have to admit, this was the closest I found to the pizza tasting like it was made in the states. Pizza in New Zealand is just…different. That’s the best word to describe it. Anyway, my point is, the pizza there is delicious! They have this “Russian Roulette” game there. One slice of pizza gets a drop of their hottest chili sauce put on it. You eat the pizza with more than one person and someone gets the hot slice unknowingly. Trust me, it’s hot. And it didn’t sit well with me either…in case anyone was wondering.
Last Meal: I left New Zealand on July 5th. On July 3rd, my group of friends decided to have a nice last meal together. We ate a restaurant called Osterio del Torro. I ordered Pasta Cabronara, something I’ve become quite the fan of since being in NZ. The meal was wonderful and we concluded the evening with drinks at The Welsh Dragon and dessert at Strawberry Fare. This was also the night that a 7.0 earthquake rattled Wellington. The earthquake was about 300 miles northwest of Wellington, so there was no damage to the city itself. However, the 20-25 second earthquake caused quite the excitement amongst my friends and me. Something so powerful right before I left made leaving a little easier. In case you didn’t know, Wellington sits right on a fault line—something I didn’t know until after I was already there!
| Everyone after our last meal together |
| The crew at Otari-Wilson |
The last month I was in Wellington was a very exciting one, with the exception of having to worry about finals. I feel so fortunate that I was able to spend such a large amount of time really enjoying the company of the amazing friendships I formed while in New Zealand. And I’m glad I got to eat tons of great food before I left! There were a few places that we ate at that I didn't include in this post. These were some of the highlights. I'm also sick of writing about food.
No comments:
Post a Comment