Sunday, January 10, 2010

Up In The Air

Last week, I went to see the movie "Up In The Air." If you have not already gone to see this movie, go and see it. It illustrates a very different lifestyle that more than likely, very few people in our world probably live. It is about a man who has a job that requires extensive travel. He is hired by companies to fire people and flies around the country over 320 days a year. He literally has only the things he needs with him. These things do not include the relationships that many of us value and would struggle to live without. Can you imagine only having the things you need in your life to travel?

When the movie finished, I was faced with the questions: Can I live like that? Would I enjoy living like that? What "little things" would I take with me?

For the first question, I came to two conclusions, but settled on the second. I decided that I could live like that for basically the reason being that I do not like clutter in my life. I do not like it when my room is messy. I do not like it when my bathroom is dirty. I do not like having things I do not use laying around. Not being home, having my own bathroom, or not having useless things with me would eliminate those things I do not like. Then after thinking a little bit longer I realized that I could not live like that because seeing the people who mean the most to me is way more important. It would be neat to live this lifestyle for a few months, but in the long run, I would not enjoy it. It would be hard to come home to an empty apartment or feeling like I did not have a home. And more importantly, that people did not care about me.

As for the "little things" that I would take with me...well, the truth is, I do not have little things in my life that are that important. The things in my life that are important to me are big things like my parents, brothers, boyfriend, horses, and friends. I need those things surrounding me to keep me happy. I would struggle being away from them for extended periods of time. The little things are not that important to me, but the relationships I have in life are.

This movie made me realize how important relationships in life are. If you do not have relationships in life, what do you have to live for? To me, it would be a life of loneliness. Even though I love my "me" time, this lifestyle would more than likely drive me to insanity. What do you think of this lifestyle? Why do you think it is that some people can live a lifestyle like this? I walked out of the movie feeling thankful that I have the relationships in my life that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment