Monday, April 2, 2012

Owhiro Bay

On Saturday I embarked on a journey to Owhiro Bay with my friend Suzanne. We were a little leery about going because the weather forecast said a 50% chance of rain. We went anyways because we are sick of the weather preventing us from doing things we want to do. Lucky for us it turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day.
We took the bus because it would be quite the walk otherwise. Once we got off the bus we went the wrong way and wondered around the city for a little bit. We eventually found the city sky walk area so we went up to see an overlook of Island Bay. It was breathtaking. Despite being so high up, we could still hear the water crashing against the red rocks.
We wandered around the beach for quite a while taking pictures and getting our feet wet. I cannot describe how beautiful this place was. Just when I think New Zealand cannot get any more prettier, something else takes my breath away. This place is full of seals during the winter time so I definitely want to go back once fall passes. I also learned that dolphins and orcas can sometimes be seen here!
After we were satisfied with our beach adventure along the Red Rocks Seal Colony, we walked quite a ways back into town to find something to eat. When I first arrived here, I had heard of a place called Burger Wisconsin which was in the part of town we were in for the day. We wanted to eat there, but they were not open yet so we went somewhere else. I plan to take my mom there next week when she comes for dinner. Before heading back to Wellington we did a chocolate run to the grocery store. It topped off one of the most perfect days I have had here so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment