Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What I Like Most About Animals


During my animal science lecture last Friday, my professor passed out a piece of paper to everyone in the class and asked us to write down what we enjoy most about animals. I am very much an animal lover and I thought it was weird that never in my life had I ever been asked this question by someone who personally knew my love and passion for animals. I immediately thought about my horses and my dog...and even a lot of other animals I have been really lucky to have in my life over the years. To me, there are a number of things that I like most about animals. However, when I stop and think about it, there are two things that rise above all the others. The two things that stand out the most to me are: how rewarding they are and how calm I feel when I am around them.


First, the rewards. At the beginning of my sophomore year, I purchased a four and a half month old filly. It was something I decided to do because my previous horse had destroyed my confidence I had in my riding skills. I searched for a new horse for over a year and a half, but was having no luck finding one. I decided that I should try raising up a foal for two reasons. One, it was a challenge that I was willing to take one, and two, it was going to put the stalls and pasture my parents put up at our house to use. Five years ago, Vogue arrived at my house with a friend of mine, as well as two of her "tough" guys friends. When the trailer door opened, the guys went in and had to force Vogue out of the trailer and into her stall. The moment of her arriving at my house was something I anticipated for over a week. I was scared. All I could think was, "What did I just get myself into?" Within a week, I started to develop a very close bond with Vogue and everything came very naturally with her. Over the last five years, we've definitely had our ups and downs, but it is crazy to think that she knew nothing, and now she is a horse that knows so much and is very confident in the things I ask her to do. Sure, I got lucky. She is an incredibly smart horse, but the rewards I feel every time I am around her are immeasurable. Vogue has been the most rewarding thing in my life. The rewards keep on continuing; she makes me so proud.


Another thing I enjoy most about animals is how calm I feel when I am around them. Animals always provide this endless amount of love, and it is almost hard for me to understand how anyone cannot do anything but love them. There have been so many times that I will just go out by my horses and watch them graze, listen to them eat hay, or just go sit on them...there really is not a feeling that compares to it. I feel so calm in moments like that. Then there is my dog. I swear, if she were a person, she would be the happiest one I know. She is always excited to see anyone and everyone no matter what type of mood they may be in, what they look like, or if they have had a good or bad day. Just watching her and how she is always so happy just relaxes me and often brings a smile to my face. And it reminds me how I should be the same each and every day.

I have always loved animals and I know I would feel like I had a huge void if they were not in my life. I am really luck to have Vogue up with me at school, but I still really miss my dog, Charlo, and my other horse, Sage. I wish I did not have to leave them back home. If you're an animal lover like me, what is it that you enjoy most about animals? All I know is that I would not be the same person if I did not have animals in my life because of how rewarding and calming they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment