On Friday, June 8th, I was finally able to say that I was finished with my classes here at Victoria University of Wellington. Unfortunately, I still have 3 final exams to take over the next three weeks, but that's not what is important at the moment. My friends and I decided to do something fun to celebrate classes being done so we took a road trip to Martinborough which is about 2 hours East of Wellington to see the Putangirua Pinnacles.
 |
| Sunrise |
We left around 5 on Friday and drove in the dark through the Totatora's, which are some really windy mountains. I was a little scared, but my friend, Suzanne, is a great driver and got us to Martinborough safely. The hostel we stayed at was a home stay and the owner forgot about us. Despite a sketchy beginning, it was a very pleasant stay and it was quite nice to feel as though I was staying in a home rather that a hostel or flat. We went out to dinner at an adorable restaurant for the evening called The Bach. I love how all the places I eat here have such a unique atmosphere, and this place was no exception. We retreated to our home stay since we were beginning our drive to our hike at 7, but spent the night eating junk food and watching the Princess Bride. Normally, my friends and I watch movies on a tiny computer screen. It was quite nice to watch one on TV. I've learned that the little things in life really are the big things.
 |
| View of our hike to the Pinnacles |
We had a gorgeous sunrise to accompany us on our drive the the Putangirua Pinnacles. We even got to see the ocean along the way. The hike was very enjoyable although I will admit I was slightly uncomfortable during it. The pinnacles are formed out of rock and clay. After a rainfall the previous day, it looked as though we could have experience a rock slide. The track had a lot of clay on it which I found to be unique. We had to cross over a river numerous times which proved to be a bit of a challenge at times, but we made it and had plenty of amazing sights of the pinnacles once we arrived. Although the pinnacles may look like solid rock formations, they really were just a combination of rocks.
 |
| The Pinnacles |
We headed back to Wellington to explore Shelly Bay and have lunch. We saw a seal swimming near the beach. I honestly thought it was a giant snake at first, but nope, it was just an adorable seal curious as to what my friends and I were up to. We headed up to Mt Victoria because we had some extra time with the car we rented. It was quite nice to drive around Wellington versus walking around it. Again, it's the little things in life that I seem to take for granted. Overall it was a great trip and I really enjoyed having one last adventure with the incredible friends I've made here in Wellington.
 |
| Shelly Bay |
No comments:
Post a Comment