Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kiwi's Love NZ!

In the two and a half months I've been in NZ, I've learned that Kiwi's really love their country.  I think that this is a wonderful thing.  I also love their country, but on a larger scale, I love our world.  It's full of impeccable beauty that I want generations after generations to enjoy.  For anyone who knows me or has gone shopping with me, you know that I often turn down plastic bags (especially if I am only buying a few things) and tell the cashier, "I'm all about saving the world, one plastic bag at a time."  Needless to say, seeing people who love their country as much as Kiwi's do definitely brings a smile to my face.  I feel the same way they do.

I've already hit on some of the things that are done in this country to preserve NZ in previous blogs, but in case you've forgotten, here's a little refresher. 

1. All toilets are equipped with a "light" load and "heavy" load button to save water.
2. Power outlets need to be turned on to operate which conserves a lot of energy.
3. Most drinks are sold in glass bottles, eliminating plastic.
4. Many grocery stores charge for plastic bags, which encourages people to buy reusable bags just for grocery shopping.
5. Recycling here is a pretty big deal.  They even recycle cardboard!  I will admit, I do not even recycle cardboard, and I am not sure I know anyone who does.

Recently, I've learned that Kiwi's want to preserve their country's natural beauty in terms of the incredible views it has to offer.  While traveling around the south island over break, our bus driver informed us that people cannot build houses in places that ruin a view.  While driving through the mountains, we never saw houses.  I think that this is a really cool thing.  In the USA, if people want to buy land for the "right" price, most likely the seller could care less what they end up doing with the land.

I have noticed that there is not a lot of litter here.  People are not allowed the throw cigarette butts on the ground.  I know people are not supposed to do this in the USA either, but it is not as strongly enforced as it is here.  While tramping, every one made an extra effort to remove all litter and I often saw the leaders of our group picking up trash they found along the way.  It's the little things that the citizens of NZ do on a daily basis to keep their country as perfect, pure, and natural as possible that make a difference.

The last big thing I have noticed is that natural bush is "worked around."  For example, while hiking, if a trail is made and a big tree is in the way, the trail goes around the tree instead of the tree being chopped down.  The native bush is also used as landscape.  Many of our hostels that we stayed at over break had native bush used as landscape as a way to decorate, whereas we often create our own in the states.  Everything here shows NZ's natural beauty.

It's these little differences that matter.  The Kiwi's are doing so much to keep their country pure.  I know many people feel that one person cannot make a difference, but they can.  Buy reusable grocery bags, unplug outlets, do not use as much water, and recycle.  Even if you can afford to leave things plugged in or take a long shower, try not do these things everyday.  If more people put in an effort to save their country, our world would be a better place.  I hope that if you read this blog post, you begin doing the little things.  Your contribution will matter and keep our world and our country a better place for future generations to come.  We need to care.  If you do not care, why should anyone else care?

No comments:

Post a Comment