Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No Expectations = No Disappointments

Recently, I have learned a profound life lesson and I learned it from two of my fellow co-workers. Last week, literally one day after the other I had one co-worker tell me something and the next day have another co-worker tell me the exact same thing. The funny thing is, each of these two conversations were not remotely similar. What is this profound life lesson? Well, I will tell you. In life, if you have no have expectations, you will never be disappointed. It almost seems quite brash, but I plan to tell you why I feel that this is a great concept to keep in mind and even live by.

Pick an area of your life, work, friends, families, relationships, hobbies, etc.

For now, I will pick work. I work at a hotel and every day when I am on my way to work I think to myself about what kind of day it will be...hard or easy. I usually base my predictions based off of things our head housekeeper or general manager will mention during the day about what tomorrow will be like. If I know that it is going to be a hard day, I do not expect an easy day because if I did, I would automatically set myself up to be disappointed if the day turns out to be tough. With a job like mine that is so physically demanding, it is important to never expect an easy day because then no disappointment will occur. In fact, I often expect every day to be hard because then any sort of amount of rooms seems easy. Plus, when it is a hard or long day, I get more hours which is always nice when the pay check comes.

This simple concept could be applied in many areas of our lives, and I could go on with many different examples. Next time you have an expectation of your job, of a friend, of a family member, of your day, of your work out, or of the weather...eliminate it. That way, when things do not go as expected, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment